Senior Java Developer
As a leading worldwide provider of electronic navigation charts, Navionics’s focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance and ease of use in every market we serve. Ideas that drive this success sometimes come from singular inspiration, but more often they’re a result of collaborative effort. Inside Navionics, we like to foster an environment of participation and engagement. Regardless if you’re a newbie or a veteran, engineers dream it, design it and use it.
Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment (no dress code!) where advancement is found from sharing knowledge, not hiding it. We support professional development, offer well-designed career paths and adhere to a policy that prioritizes promoting from within the company to maximize the opportunities for our associates. We are also committed to be a good corporate citizen and providing opportunities for associates to contribute toward a healthy, sustainable world.
If you are interested in working for an innovation driven company, in a team of enthusiastic and skilled engineers, contributing to develop Navionics web products used by millions of users worldwide, look no further.
Our Navionics Engineering team is seeking for a talented Snr Software Engineer to develop, and continuously improve our systems.
What you’ll do:
- Developing complex code in Java - Identifying defects, performing root cause analysis using software engineering tools and techniques
- Proposing corrective actions, offering comments, suggestions for alternative solutions, process improvements, and estimating level of effort
- Applying design standards and procedures to implement complex designs - Performing unit, integration and performance testing, and performance tuning
- Communicating status of work clearly and transparently to your supervisor - Documenting work in an organized manner
- Collaborating effectively with other Navionics and Garmin associates through participation in peer code reviews, providing comments and suggestions
- Constantly learning and improving knowledge and skills
In this role you will have the opportunity to work on web products running on one of the largest AWS footprint in Italy.
What you’ll need:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in developing with Java ideally on consumer web products
- Thorough understanding of computing using complex data structures, complex algorithms, memory management, multi-threading and standard libraries.
- Experience working with any Java IDE (IntelliJ, Netbeans, Eclipse, etc…), code management (GIT), configuration management systems and build processes (Jenkins, Ansible, etc…)
- Experience working with large databases and large datasets in relational databases like Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL or MySQL Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and ability to troubleshoot issues
- Strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills - Experience with agile SDLC methodologies and tools methodologies and tools like JIRA and Confluence - Experience with both Windows and Linux environments
Bonus points if you have:
- Additional experience in developing software in other object-oriented languages like C#, C++ or Ruby
- Experience with GIS systems or spatial databases - Familiarity with marine environment technology, navigation and devices
Our home: you can find us in via Fondacci, 269, in Massarosa (LU), Italy.
Navionics, a Garmin® Ltd. company, develops and manufactures electronic navigation charts of marine areas, lakes and rivers around the world for use in GPS chart plotters and mobile devices. You can find us in the App Stores or at www.navionics.com.
Navionics is a part of the Garmin group of companies. At Garmin, we like to work hard and play hard. It comes easy when you work on cool products with hard-working individuals who share the same passion. See more at www.garmin.com.
Many exciting things are happening at Garmin and people are taking notice: Garmin was ranked as one of the 500 World’s Best Employers in 2017 and in the top three most reputable tech companies (U.S. Reputation Institute, 2018). More recently Garmin was ranked 5th in the list of America’s Best Employers in the large company category and received the highest ranking of any tech company in the list.